Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year, We're Gonna Need a Lot of Snark to Cope

I have long believed in the use of gallows humor as a coping mechanism. Tonight, I received a... shall we say... superchunk of snark in the form of Mac McCaughan’s darkly brilliant Happy New Year (Prince Can’t Die Again):





It's a remarkable song that can be catchy, tragic, bleak, and inspirational all at once... exactly the sort of music that I tend to favor. The last verse of the song is one of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard from a musician:


So gather with your retrograde relations at the table,
Nursing hangovers of hatefulness and fear.
Remember who needs to get out and see the world.
Play the long game, muster up some cheer,
’Cause if they believe that nothing really matters
All that winning might end sooner than they think.
We might not have democracy or freedom anymore,
But resistance will be hatched around this drink.



Bottoms up!

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

2017 is here, and we'll just have to pretend like we invited it.
~

Labrys said...

I hate hangovers without the party; some viral crud makes drinking ANYthing repellent just now. Sure hope this is not how my year is meant to go, lol. But yes, resistance is going to take some muscling up -- if there is to be left anything to save. I hear Leonard Cohen echoing in my head -- about there "being chains".