Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A Quick Musical Interlude

Tonight is a beer-drinking night, the weekly team trivia battle at a local bar, so I figure I'll put up a quick post, a lickle musical parody... Roy's latest post is an exegesis of a recent screed by Sparta-obsessed whackjob Victor Davis Hanson. In the comments, the redoubtable Smut Clyde, who cannot have my giant mushroom, noted a particular obsession peculiar to VDH:


There may be a glitch in his copypasta software. So far this year he has snarled about:

progressive grandees
Public grandees
Silicon Valley grandee
some Silicon Valley Grandee who wants the smelt
The grandees of Planned Parenthood
the Bay Area grandee's
another successful grandee of unknown lineage
millions of tax-deductible dollars from foreign grandees
a rather run-of-the-mill liberal grandee
Silicon Valley grandees [different ones]

Do you think he knows he's doing it?



With apologies to The Kingston Trio...


My name is Don Victor D. Hanson,
I'm obsessed with the title 'grandee'
But I lost my saw to a wetback,
To hell with the lords in D.C.

Right-wing, the white wing is lonely,
You can work at the Hoover, it's true,
But all of the smug urban hipsters
Are pointing and laughing at you.



For those not familiar with The Kingston Trio's body of work, this is a parody of South Coast, a tragic ballad about early settlers of California's Monterrey region:





I'm not sure that VDH would dig the tune, it being about white, but decidedly non-Anglo people.

11 comments:

OBS said...

some Silicon Valley Grandee who wants the smelt

Mmm... delicious smelt..

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Critic mode: Title should have been "A Quick One (While He's Away)"

It is not a Robyn Hitchcock title, so I understand. But you're welcome....

mikey said...

Having never heard the word 'Grandee', I had to look it up. It's apparently a high caste Spanish or Portuguese noble. Not a pejorative term at all, although I assume that our friend from Fresno is using it with a sneer of contempt.

But in California, and here in Silicon Valley for that matter, we don't have many Spanish or Portuguese people at all. Lots of Latinos, sure, and lots of Asians, and particularly lots of South Asians, with a significant portion of Filipinos, but not a whole ton of southern Europeans.

Of course, I may be missing the context entirely, but to be certain I'd have to actually READ Hanson, and I prefer to let my friend Gary Brecher do that for me.

Laura said...

I haven't heard the Kingston Trio in a loooong time! My Mum used to talk about them (and of course.. I tuned her out).
It was nice to remember and smile. Thanks!! :)

((Hugs))Laura

Smut Clyde said...

Not a pejorative term at all, although I assume that our friend from Fresno is using it with a sneer of contempt.

It is a strange and arbitrary choice of words for VDH to turn into an all-purpose snarl-word for expressing every one of his many resentments.

Sparta-obsessed whackjob Victor Davis Hanson

I like to think of him as "conservative columnist, Peloponnesian war reënactor, and lead sistrum player in Bœotia-&-Thracia sensations 'The Kindly Ones'".

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Mmm... delicious smelt..

It's a wonderful fish!

It is not a Robyn Hitchcock title, so I understand. But you're welcome....

Much as I love Robyn, he's not all I listen to.

Having never heard the word 'Grandee', I had to look it up. It's apparently a high caste Spanish or Portuguese noble. Not a pejorative term at all, although I assume that our friend from Fresno is using it with a sneer of contempt.

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher, to be sure. I bet he read it first in some bad novel-for-boys.

It was nice to remember and smile. Thanks!! :)

Wuh-wuh-wuh-WHOA!!! You don't know how happy I am to hear from you. I tried to send an e-mail to you around Thanksgiving, pretty much the time I found the giant puffball (I immediately thought about how you would have stomped it). How is the shoulder? One of my co-workers recently had a case of it. Missed ya, ragazza, love to the fam.

Hanson is A Idiot, for sure.

Yeah, his degree can't disquise it.

It is a strange and arbitrary choice of words for VDH to turn into an all-purpose snarl-word for expressing every one of his many resentments.

He's a strange and arbitrary man.

Smut Clyde said...

He's a strange and arbitrary man.

In a word, a nonpareil.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

In a word, a nonpareil.

Is it 'talk like a Jack Vance character day' already?

Laura said...

Not sure if I should leave the comment here or on an above post. I'll try here first! I'm happy that you're happy to hear from me!!! :D
Sorry, I didn't get that email. Of course, I've been "delete happy" lately so... it could have been dumped accidently!
My urge to crush that mushroom would have been great ... my heart is beating a little bit faster just thinking about it actually. LOL!

My should is 100% again.. thanks! Sorry that your co-worker has to got through that. When I started physiotherapy my therapist told me it would be 9 months to one year before it would be back to normal and he was right. It was almost a year to the day. It was hell but.. he/she will get through it and be ok. I know how painful it is though and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I shall be back!!!
((Hugs))
Laura

Yastreblyansky said...

Sorry I missed this at the time! Lovely.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

My urge to crush that mushroom would have been great ... my heart is beating a little bit faster just thinking about it actually. LOL!

That's why I immediately thought of you when I found it.

Sorry I missed this at the time! Lovely.

It really is an amazing tune, and an interesting insight into California history.