Saturday, August 31, 2013

Not the Solstice, but the Longest Day of the Summer

Today was the first day of a new end-of-summer fundraiser for my organization. The pre-ordered ticket sales were lackadaisical, but somehow, in the course of the day, the event took on a life of its own. I don't know where they came from, but over a thousand people descended upon the site, and a good time was had by all. There was live music by two bands, and a beer tent. The contractor who "conceptualizes" the special events was dumbfounded by the sudden influx of visitors.

Of course, the temperature was pushing 90, with high humidity. Much of my day was spent walking the grounds with a half-gallon jug of water, refilled periodically at the water cooler/filtration system, making sure that all of our employees were well-hydrated. Whenever someone has a medical problem, such as heat prostration, I have to fill out paperwork. As it is, I have to fill out two incident reports- one woman fell in our parking lot and injured her knee, and EMS was called, whereupon they took a blood pressure reading and iced her knee. She declined further medical attention. About three hours later, another visitor twisted her ankle and, once again, EMS was called. Once again her ankle was iced and she and her husband decided that they would return to New Jersey and visit hospital closer to their home if it were warranted. He was a really nice guy, and she was a trouper.

I'm working a double, due to a thinly-spread workforce in my department. I have time to fill out two incident report based on the notes I took while EMS was on site. The day involved a lot of running around and I have to admit that I didn't even realize that I was sore and chafe-y until I slowed down after everyone left for the day. Sure, it wasn't the summer solstice, but it was the longest day of the summer... and will be until tomorrow, when I get to repeat the fun.

I'd go home and drink a shitton of beer, but I have set the alarm for eight AM. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

4 comments:

mikey said...

Good heavens. I don't have that much energy - or ambition, for that matter - anymore.

I'm about to make a nice bacon & egg sammich for lunch and then the decision I face is whether to nap through the ball game this afternoon or nap by the pool this afternoon.

Anything more rambunctious than that is right out...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I went out with siblings to play golf.

Of course, this is a horrible day to play golf. Hot, muggy, gnatty, and there was a church group having their annual tournamen, too. (JESUS HATES SLOW GOLFERS, PEOPLE!!!)

Anyways, I quit after 9 holes, now recuperating.
~

Patricia said...

Stay Bad and stay cool!