Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Little Traveling Music Please

For me, the classic road-trip music will always be Roadrunner by Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers (the original lineup included Jerry Harrison, who was a founding member of Talking Heads, and David Robinson, who drummed for The Cars). Here's a live version that, I confess, I'd never heard before:





Of course, Roadrunner sounds suspiciously like Sister Ray, by the Velvet Underground:





Roadrunner has become somewhat of a standard. Joan Jett tackled it:





The song was also hilariously butchered by the Sex Pistols in a rehearsal, with a confused John Lydon ad-libbing in quite entertaining fashion:





Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper's Jesus at McDonald's was a tongue-in-cheek "tribute" to the song:





The song's got legs, which is pretty outstanding for a love song to Stop and Shop.

15 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The song's got legs, which is pretty outstanding for a love song to Stop and Shop.

With the RADIO ON!

Travel safe...
~

Laura said...

A friend of mine almost "un-friended" me when I mixed up Velvet Underground with Velvet Revolver.
I fall to pieces, I'm fallin

Awesome lyrics. :P

((Hugs))
Laura

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I mixed up Velvet Underground with Velvet Revolver.

Well, in his defense, that's pretty indefensible.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

HUMORLESS FEMINIST NOTES: zrm assumed Laura's friend was a dude.

'Cuz women never have strong opinions about music.


HUMORLESS FEMINIST NOW BECOMES HUMORFULL FEMINIST AND TELLS ZRM SHE WAS TEASING HIM. :D

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

You can't slap zrm too hard...body parts fall off and he gets all emo-zombie.
~

Dragon-King Wangchuck said...

Sorry aboot teh kwality of teh vid, but I'm having a hard time finding links to this at all.

Road Music.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

zrm assumed Laura's friend was a dude.

Guilty. Sorry.

I also used a very clumsy "defense...indefensible" construct.

I am now off to drown my shames with Cuba Zombres.

Laura said...

Tee Hee... you guys are hilarious.
...
....
......
But seriously,
Velvet Revolver was pretty cool ....
right?
:)

((Hugs))
Laura

fish said...

But seriously,
Velvet Revolver was pretty cool ....
right?
:)


Now be nice to Laura. Not like she is defending Rush.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Somtimes it is pretty hard to be nice to Friend Fish.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

Btw, hope your voyage is Bon, B^4. Happy Toikey Day!

Substance McGravitas said...

I enjoy that Pistols version a lot. Kinda needs the Johnny B. Goode intro though.

Laura said...

Not like she is defending Rush.

Are you telling me that "someone" doesn't like Rush???!!!

Canada is getting it's tank ready.

((Hugs))
Laura

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Are you telling me that "someone" doesn't like Rush???!!!

I KNOW!!! It's inexplicable...

Canada is getting it's tank ready.

Unfortunately, I suspect Friend Fish will mobilize the Nursing Tank in response....

Laura said...

"Unfortunately, I suspect Friend Fish will mobilize the Nursing Tank in response..."

As a woman who nursed 4 children for over 2 years each.. I say to Mr.Fish... "Bring It"....

Mmmm Hmmmm....

((Hugs))
Laura